Response to Artists: Life Drawing



Robert Longo

ROBERT LONGO











Robert Longo's work is absolutely amazing to me. I find photorealism fascinating, and these drawings are probably by far the most photo realistic that I have ever seen. The images on his website of the children's faces in particular are beautifully realistic and somehow eerie.


ROBERT LONGO

David Jon Kassan






















These paintings by David Jon Kassan I chose for the fact he is more than photo realistic, he seems to include all imperfections, all the realisms, from deep wrinkles to spots and scars. I really like that, I like to see imperfections in paintings of people, because it's so easy to leave them out, and I think a lot of imperfections are what makes people.


Will Cotton


 
 
I never realised before that the album artwork for Katy Perry's 'Teenage Dream' album was actually just that, and was not a photo shopped image. For some reason this makes me appreciate it so much more.
Looking through Will Cotton's portfolio of work, it is not just this painting which I like. I think the way he combines images of women and sweets is very clever, such as the way Katy is sprawled on the cotton candy, and the sweets being entwined in the woman's hair in the painting on the left. The photorealism of the pieces is amazing. Katy Perry looks identical to her actual self.





Claudio Bravo

brav_0031fer.jpg


brav_0019fer.jpg
Although the accuracy of the still life's of fabrics and materials is very good, which I appreciate, I find many of the pieces by Claudio Bravo quite boring in composition and subject matter.  For example, the creasing in the tissue paper in the above piece is very nice, and the colour is very vibrant, but there is nothing particularly intriguing about the piece, such as the paper being twisted. I just don't think the images are very interesting.

George Seurat

George Seurat's work is very different to the work of the artist I've listed so far. His work is made up entirely of tone, with no line use at all. I like this work very much. I think that using only tone makes the pieces much more interesting. I think that the drawings look older and as if there is more history behind them. Where in normal pictures there black lines and areas on a white page are the focal point, in these, the focus is more on the white/lighter areas, which is very skilful of the artist. The fact by filling in the page he draws more attention to the white I think is a very different and difficult technique.






Comments

Popular Posts